Monday, January 27, 2014

On Simplicity

Here's a mental exercise I've been doing for a few months: I take some a vast concept, or a difficult idea, and try to express it in as few words as possible. Some of my best are listed below -- I've taken to calling them "mantras" in my head, which is probably a little too self-indulging, but we all indulge a little sometimes.

1.) People are awesome; people are stupid.
2.) Simplicity.
3.) Think; learn.
4.) Be compassionate.

For those of you who don't know, I have a giant whiteboard, which in my head I call "The Whiteboard" (capital T, capital W), in my room. I draw/write ideas/plans/quotes/random things/nonrandom things on it. Most things that go on the whiteboard leave rather quickly. These four mantras currently occupy space on it, and I don't expect them to erase them anytime soon.

When a sentence is short, each individual word possesses more power. Whenever the meaning:text ratio ("text density") is high, your sentences are more compelling, more powerful, more meaningful. High text density is a trend I've noticed among skilled writers. In the same vein, it's much more impactful when a person who doesn't curse often, curses. (This idea is something I'm going to term "swear scarcity".*)

Let's talk about the first mantra I have up there. To me, it succinctly summarizes human achievement, brilliance, and passion, while also addressing our inherent ugliness and stupidity. It describes the extremely complicated nature of a human being. It makes us think about our faults, insecurities, and admirations. It gives us hope and takes it away. Its paradoxical nature reflects our own paradoxical nature. The more I confront everyday life, the more truth that statement holds. The same is true for any other mantra I've shared. They all distill some element of life to a basic, memorable aphorism. I encourage you to think about them a little. Or a lot. Whichever.

Another topical idea is Occam's Razor, which says that the simplest explanation is usually the best. As a principle, it shines. Indeed, liberal usage of Occam's Razor is not often a bad thing -- although it you can cut yourself with it at times. That's why I recommend Occam's Shaving Cream, which is just one word (and which, incidentally, I just came up with on the spot): "Think." Occam's Razor and Shaving Cream, when combined, form a dynamic, exhilarating critical thinking package. Try it out. It'll be the smoothest, cleanest problem solving you've ever experienced.

Make things simple.

-Me

Bonus video

*I tried to do a portmanteau but "swearcity" just doesn't look right, for some reason... I also tried to do a pun with "Keynesian Economics". You can guess how that turned out.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with this, especially the point you made on the impact a lack of swearing can have. Up until recently, I hadn't cursed worse than "shit." When I did finally did and called the boy who stood my sister up a jackass, I was able to convey a much harder meaning than if I had always cursed and had used a stronger word.
    The idea of making things simple is also a very idealistic view. I hope I am able to achieve it, but humans, and myself in particular, have a tendency to over complicate things, instead of simplifying them.
    I hope you keep this blog going, it is always a very entertaining read.

    ReplyDelete