Friday, June 13, 2014

On Song Rampages

I go on song rampages.

When I hear I song, there is chance it will become a Rampage Song. This means I listen to the song nonstop for anywhere from a full weekend to two weeks (depending on quality). I don't listen to any other song for the duration of the rampage -- no radio, nothing.

What's weird is the song doesn't even have to be of good quality for it to become Rampage material. Here are some songs I don't even like which somehow made it on the list:

Payphone -- Maroon 5
Why Does the Sun Shine -- They Might Be Giants
Check Yes, Juliet -- We The Kings
Fine By Me -- Andy Grammer
Angels of Death -- Immortal Technique

Feel free to make fun of me for this list, and rest assured there are ten times as many good songs I've rampaged.

Let's talk about how these rampages feel. First, the songs are usually pretty catchy. I'll bob my head or beatbox or sing along to them (whichever is appropriate -- sometimes all are). This phase lasts for a few dozen listens. Eventually, the song is no longer discrete. It blends in to my environment -- it is a fifth wall in my room, another dimension of my car, another element of my existence. It follows me, or do I follow it? It doesn't matter. It exists as I exist.

Better still is what happens afterwards: Song association. I listened to Here I Am Aive -- Yellowcard for two weeks straight while writing a math essay. Now, whenever I hear that song, I immediately think about math. In fact, it's weird to listen to it without doing math. Similarly, I have song associations for going swimming, playing tennis, driving, and certain video games.

I think the following Charles Bukowski quote is appropriate:

"Find what you love and let it kill you."

-Me

No comments:

Post a Comment