Monday, March 31, 2014

On A Card Game

I like card games. In fact, I liked card games so much that my siblings and I made one. (Actually, I forced them to help me make it).

Cleverly titled "A Card Game", the card game shamelessly stole ideas from every place imaginable. (Read: I stole ideas from every place imaginable). The very concept of the gameplay was lifted almost directly from an online game. What's more, the first cards off the press were based on the blandest, most mundane fantasy characters, with names such as "Regular Healer" and "Normal Knight". Those were their actual names.

Then, I gradually stole names from other genres, making "sets": There was a set based off of Winnie the Pooh characters (Piglet allowed you to take permanent control of the other player's cards and was way too strong), a set based off of A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Vogon Poetry instantly killed anything), a set based off of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (they crawled out of Portable Toilets), and so on. The best set was the Harry-Potter-But-Also-Animal-Puns set, which started off either (a) when I accidentally drew Harry Potter looking too much like a cow, or (b) when I accidentally drew a cow with a lighting-bolt-shaped scar. I forget which. Regardless, the error inspired such brilliances as "Albus Dumbleboar", "Professor McDonaldgal" (as in Old McDonald), "Ginny Ferrety", and "Severus Snake".

I'm proud of A Card Game. Despite the fact that it suffers from crippling balance issues, insane deck sizes, and way too many awful cards, it was still a lot of fun. I don't really play it anymore, although I still possess almost every card I made. Every one of them has awful, hand-drawn pencil art that could be easily outdone by a third grader. It's hilarious.

-Me

P.S. I wish I could post pictures, but my current phone is bad at doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment