Monday, June 25, 2018

I'm Lost

I'm lost, I said one fateful day, and wondered where I was.
So I went to go and search for me -- mostly just because.

I found myself on mountain vistas, past frigid, icy streams;
I found myself in English classrooms, amidst poetic themes.
I found myself in cheerful places, laughing to my core;
I found myself in grieving places, silent as the morgue.
I found myself in romantic places, dancing, getting kissed;
I found myself in craven places, filled with cowardice.

I'm lost, I told myself, desperate to be found;
Will I find my soul in Heaven? Or deep beneath the ground?

I found myself in tranquil moments, in the quiet of my mind;
I found myself in awkward moments, when the quiet was not so kind.
I found myself in triumphant moments, victorious, adored;
I found myself in lifeless moments, doing nothing, getting bored.
I found myself in wondrous moments, amazed at beauty's grace;
I found myself in filthy moments, in perversion's cold embrace.

Will I ever find myself? I pondered hopelessly.
I was there in all those moments, but was it truly me?

I found myself with kindness, performing selfless acts;
I found myself with treach'ry, breaking sacred pacts.
I found myself with patience, never wearing thin;
I found myself with turmoil, a raging storm within.
I found myself with passion, glowing in my eyes;
I found myself with shame, which I've managed to disguise.

And then I knew the answer, succeeded in my quest;
I found myself at last, at last! -- and I laid the matter to rest.
Where am I really? I asked myself, searching everywhere;
And found myself in all those places -- for I was always there.

I was never lost at all, you see. The hunt was all a sham.
Where I look, I find me. And that is where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment