Thursday, August 11, 2016

The Idea Of Falling In Love

I recently read a quote somewhere that resonated with me. I don’t remember exactly how it was worded, so I’ll paraphrase: “You don’t fall in love with how someone looks, you fall in love with how they think.”

I love the idea of falling in love with someone else’s mind, the way they perceive and interpret the world, the way the cogs in their brain churn and grind. I love the idea of falling in love with someone else’s worldview, their temperament, their passions, their reactions, their notions, conceptions, predispositions. I love the idea of taking joy at the way someone else tries to impose their will on the world, the way they interact with it and express themselves within it, the way they reciprocate and listen to it. I love the idea of being so compatible with someone I, in some wondrously strange Wei, become a part of them.

We build walls to cope with things. There is a delicious irony in the fact that our most meaningful connections are borne from vulnerability, that we have to risk some part of ourselves to get some part of other people. I love that. I love the idea of being open and honest when lives can be based on being deceptive and disingenuous. I love the idea of being a hopeless romantic in a world caked in cynicism and depravity.

I think I've fallen in love before. I was 15. It lasted for a few months, and it ended mostly because of my own thorough cluelessness and immaturity. It’s not a long story, but it’s rather sad and boring, so I’ll spare you the details. But I feel like I’ve gotten a taste of what I’ve been describing here, and the taste has left me hungry.

-Me



EDIT: So I published this, and it's gotten 4 pageviews within 1 minute, and my blog overall has gotten 18 pageviews within the same amount of time. I know that's the Internet robots. You're not fooling anyone, Internet robots.

No comments:

Post a Comment