Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Sticky Note Letter

Sometime during my first week of college, I put a sticky note on the exterior of my dorm room window. (Read it about it here.) Now, after two semesters, the sticky note hasn't fallen off yet. Truly amazing.

I wrote a letter to the future residents of my room in an attempt to preserve this sticky note's life and maintain its legacy Below is the letter in its entirety.

_______________________________________________________________________________

To whom it may concern:

In August of 2014, I put up a sticky note on this window. Now, in May of 2015, it has not yet fallen. It was pink, once, resplendent in youth and eager to see the world -- perhaps to remind some cubicle worker of a 10AM meeting, perhaps to bookmark some profound book passage, perhaps to serve as an impromptu grocery list. Little did it know, it had a much higher purpose.

A sticky note's life is not long. They are made to be discarded, transient and immaterial, popup windows in real life. Yet this one lives on in spite of all this, clinging to life, spitting in the faces of gravity and time. This one perseveres. This one is not some quick aid for human memory; it looks up to the great glory of Rome, the endurance of Shackleton, the courage of Armstrong. Yet Rome, Shackleton, and Armstrong are dead, and this sticky note is not.

I implore you to pass this letter on to the future residents of this dorm room, that they may witness and attest to the legacy of this sticky note. What we have here is more than a withering, yellowed piece of paper. What we have here is a national treasure.

If you have any questions, or if you would like to tell me more, please email me at sunwn0290@gmail.com.

Sincerely,
Weiliang Sun

________________________________________________________________________________

Now all I can do is hope someone reads the letter and emails me. If they do, I will notify you all immediately.

2 comments: